If you have green thumbs on your holiday shopping list, finding that perfect gift is a snap if you shop the gardening catalogs and their Web sites. Here are some of my favorites for giving as well as getting:
• From Renee’s Garden, www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/beginners.html, (888) 880-7228, come two Easy to Grow seed collections, each containing five packets of reliably easy, colorful and delicious veggie varieties chosen for folks new to growing a garden from seed. Priced at $13.95 plus shipping, choose from the Easy to Grow Rainbow Kitchen Garden or Easy to Grow Container Kitchen Garden set. Renee’s Facebook Page
• Kinsman Company gardeners’ gifts catalog, (800) 773-4146, www.kinsmangarden.com, has pre-packaged gift baskets that take the mystery out of shopping. My favorite is the Pamela Crawford Pre-Packaged Gift Basket, which includes a planting basket, Dynamite Slow Release Fertilizer and a copy of Crawford’s best-selling “Instant Container Gardens” book. It’s a $56.85 value, priced at $49.95. Other great Crawford books include “Easy Container Gardens,” and for snowbirds, the new “Easy Gardens for the South.” In these books, Pamela Crawford shows how a rank beginner can create bodacious, stunning containers that will knock his or her socks off.
• Not all gardeners need new tools, so if the green thumb on your list has a full tool box, check out the Gardener’s Supply Christmas catalog, (800) 427-3363, www.gardeners.com. Along with garden tools, it features 186 gifts under $30. There’s something here for everyone.
• Real trees make fabulous lasting gifts and the Gardener’s Supply 24-inch potted Alberta spruce decorated in your choice of tiny birds or garden tools will delight any homeowner. After the holidays, plant the tree outdoors and it will grow 8 to 10 feet high. Order before Dec. 20 for Christmas delivery. Gardeners Supply Facebook Page
• Along with garden tools, the Lee Valley Tool holiday gift catalog, (800) 871-8158, www.leevalley.com, contains an eclectic collection of gifts. Looking for quality yet inexpensive stocking stuffers? This is the place to shop. An old-fashioned Balsa Wood Glider Kit priced at $2.50 is fun for all ages. A hard maple muddler/pestle priced at $6.50, used to mash fruits, spices and herbs, is perfect for the Mojito maker in the family. At just $9.50, the pocket microscope with a 20-40x zoom lens is useful for plant pest hunting, or use as a beginner microscope for kids. Lee Valley Tools has lots of goodies for gardeners, woodworkers and cooks they don’t even know they need, so I assure you they will be thrilled with your choices.